English
Latvian
Reklāmkarogs
MINOX NEW ACQUEST OF THE MUSEUM ON THE 2ND FLOORS EXSPOSITION HALL
From the 18th of November, in the historical exposition hall on the 2nd floor, Latvia's Photography Museum will present a photo camera collection donated by Minox Gmbh in Germany. This collection will substantially supplement the Minox collection that already exists in the LPM archives and in the exposition hall. Such cameras as the CD 70 and CD 112, which were first released in 1996, will be added to the exposition. In addition, the  PL 35, a photo camera model from 1982 that successfully continued the series for 35 mm photo film, the popular Minox LX camera models, the attractively designed Minox Leica model that weights only 93 grams, along with another cameras. In addition to the various camera models, viewers can watch a short video about Valters Caps and Minox as well as view Minox products that have already been displayed in the exposition hall: sketches by Valters Caps, specially made Minox photo films, light meters, various Minox accessories and laboratory tools, and it will be possible to explore the fine details that make up the Minox cameras.
The inventor of the Minox mini-photo camera was Valters Caps (Walter Zapp).He was born in Riga on the 4th of September, 1905, in a family of tradespeople. His father Karlis was a citizen of Great Britain, but his mother, Emilija Antonija Ida Burhards, was a Baltic-German. In 1921, after returning to Latvia from deportation, the family decided to move to Tallinn. In the beginning of 1922, V. Caps began to work in the photo studio of Valters Lembergs. While there, the idea came to him to make a miniature photo camera. In 1932, Caps and Rihards Jirgens established a corporation to create the camera. Within four years they had created a prototype for the camera, but neither Caps nor Jirgens could find a company that wanted to produce it.
In 1936, Caps suggested producing the camera to Teodors Vītols, a director of the State Electro Technical Factory (VEF). In the fall of the same year he signed a contract and moved to Riga. The “Minox” mini photo camera was a sensation not only in Latvia, but throughout the entire photo industry as well. Mass production of the camera started on April 12, 1938 at VEF in Latvia. There was strong demand for the new camera and it was patented in 22 countries. From 1937 until 1942, 17,000 cameras were built. In 1940, when Latvia was occupied by the USSR, the production was changed. The Soviets replaced “Made in Latvia” with “Made in USSR”. In 1942, the camera stopped being produced and the manufacturing equipment was transported to Germany, where production of Minox cameras resumed. Valters Caps died in 2003, at the age of 97 in Switzerland.


THANKS TO MINOX GMBH IN GERMANY FOR THEIR GIFT TO LATVIA’S PHOTOGRAPHY MUSEUM!
 

OPENING TIMES

Mon. closed
Tue. closed
Wed. 11.00-17.00
Thu. 12.00-19.00
Fri. 11.00-17.00
Sat. 11.00-17.00
Sun. 11.00-17.00

 twitter facebook instagramm draugiem